Welcome to the questionnaire for
Human Capacity Building
in marine/maritime activities
which is part of SEAS-ERA
What is SEAS-ERA?
SEAS-ERA is a Coordinated Action co-financed under the EU-Seventh Framework Programme. It started on May 1st 2010 and has a duration of 48 months. Its main aim is to constitute a platform to develop a European integrated policy oriented structure in order to promote knowledge and expertise in any sea-related area, embracing marine and maritime research. If you want to know more about SEAS-ERA visit http://seas-era.eu.
What do we address for Human Capacity Building (HCB)?
Capacity Building is the creation of an enabling environment with appropriate policy and legal frameworks, institutional development, human resources enhancement and strengthening of managerial systems. HCB refers not only to training, but also to:
- human resource, with knowledge, skills, access to information and training that enable them to act in the best way;
- management structures, processes and procedures, to facilitate the human resources growing process;
- institutional and legal framework, to enable all levels and all sectors performers to act and support knowledge-based decisions.
Which is the approach used in preparing the questionnaire?
In the framework of SEAS-ERA Work Package 5, task 1 “Review of existing capacity building (HCB) schemes”, the main aim is to build-up a database to facilitate data collection and inventory of marine and maritime HCB potential, initiatives and actions. The database will then be analyzed to accurately identify needs and gaps in HCB at European and pan-European level, in order to plan a training and mobility strategy to be addressed to the European Commission and possibly to pan-European States. Questionnaire’s results will be public and available on the SEAS-ERA web site.
The questionnaire will be distributed to as many recipients as possible (national and local institutions and entities from EU and non-EU countries): ministries and research funding organizations, research performing organizations, marine and maritime industries, schools/nautical institutes, captains, harbour master, etc. Because of recipients' different national frames and languages and in order to facilitate the filling process, a short help-guide translated by the national focal point into recipient own language is included in the letter to recipients.
To facilitate data collection and the analysis of the inventory of marine and maritime HCB potential, initiatives and actions, we built-up an on-line questionnaire that consists of three STEPS:
- STEP 1 is for information and contacts about the Organization you are filling the form for;
- STEP 2 is for priorities and needs (levels high/medium/low/no) which you consider to be important for your Organization in HCB marine/maritime activities;
- STEP 3 is about marine/maritime HCB initiatives completed and/or still running and/or already planned: for example, institutional/ dedicated/ university/ master/ or refresher courses, PhD training, summer schools, workshops, internships.
How to complete the questionnaire
Please fill the account request form: you will receive an e-mail with username and password to make the log in.
Once logged in, you can proceed starting from STEP 1 and going ahead with STEP 2 and STEP 3, entering all the initiatives you are aware of.
Please note that only orange fields are mandatory.
Any change or adding information can be inserted later, before finally submitting the questionnaire. Each step you filled can indeed be modified and also printed from the dedicated page "Summary". If, after the submission, you still have something to change or add, use the unsubmit option and then submit the filled form again.
Please note that sensible information will not be made public